SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
In order to view this page you need JavaScript and Flash Player 9+ support!

Photo

Emergency GDT: Panthers @ Capitals

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 CatWoman34

CatWoman34

Perennial All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,725 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario, Canada

Posted 09 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

** EMERGENCY GDT!! **

TONIGHT! YOUR CATS TRAVEL TO WASHINGTON TO TAKE ON THE STRUGGLING CAPS!

IT'S A SOUTHEAST TILT ON A SATURDAY NIGHT!!

CAN THE CATS CONTINUE THE CAPS WOES?

OR WILL WASHINGTON FIND THEIR LEGS??

IT ALL GOES DOWN TONIGHT!!!

NHL.com Preview

Struggling Capitals host improving Panthers

PANTHERS (4-5-1) at CAPITALS (2-8-1)

TV: FS-Florida, CSN-DC

Last 10: Florida 4-5-1; Washington 2-7-1

Season series: This is the first of four matchups between the two teams. Washington won four of the six games last season, including a pair of shutouts at Verizon Center. The Capitals outscored the Panthers 11-2 in the building, and 19-6 in the past five meetings there (all victories).

Big story: These two teams battled for the Southeast Division title last season, and now there are languishing at the bottom of the conference standings.

Team Scope:

Panthers: Florida also got off to a terrible start to the season, losing five of its first six games, but the Panthers have righted themselves by earning points in four straight (3-0-1). This is the last of a four-game road trip, which has included wins in Buffalo and Philadelphia sandwiched around an overtime loss in Winnipeg.

The Panthers were decimated by injuries at the start of the season, but key players like Stephen Weiss, Kris Versteeg and Erik Gudbranson are back in the lineup. The goaltending is still not great, but is has improved of late. The Panthers have yielded 11 goals in the past four contests after giving up 23 during the five-game skid.

Capitals: Washington has lost three straight after a win against Philadelphia, and the angst in the nation's capital is mounting with each defeat. The Capitals entered the weekend with the fewest goals per game (2.27) in the Eastern Conference and the most goals allowed per contest (3.73) in the League. That combination will put a team at the bottom of the standings, and the Capitals are three points shy of 29th-place Columbus.

Washington played a strong first period at Pittsburgh on Thursday, but the Capitals collapsed in the second en route to a 5-2. They yielded bad goals -- coach Adam Oates yanked Michal Neuvirth after his second soft goal in as many games -- and conceded others in bunches. Seven times this season the Capitals have allowed goals on two of three shots or less.

Who's hot: Tomas Fleischmann, who spent parts of seven seasons in the Capitals' lineup, has six points in his last four games and leads the Panthers will nine. … By his past standards this isn't a hot streak, but Alex Ovechkin has points in three straight games. Amazingly, Ovechkin has just one three-point game since April 6, 2011 -- a span of 113 games (including the postseason).

Injuries: Defensemen Ed Jovanovski (knee) and Michael Caruso (wrist) and forwards Sean Bergenheim (undisclosed) and Scottie Upshall (ankle) are all out for the Panthers. … Brooks Laich (groin) and Jack Hillen (upper body) are out for the Capitals. John Erskine returns from a three-game suspension

"Living is easy with eyes closed. Misunderstanding all you see." - The Beatles (Strawberry Fields Forever)

The artist formerly known as tmb_3410

#2 zmike1981z

zmike1981z

1st Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Locationsunrise, florida

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

a win tonight puts the panthers 1 point of first place in the South East Division. Of coarse Tampa will have a game at hand also but it will look much better then being out of the 8th seed last week by 4 points.

I am keeping my fingers crossed the Caps dont show up tonight.

#3 zmike1981z

zmike1981z

1st Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:05 PM

Keaton Ellerby was traded to the Kings,

http://panthers.nhl....s.htm?id=654709

for a fifth round draft pick. This move makes no sense to me. He was playing better the last few games. With the Panthers lack of depth and so many injuries, why the bleep make this move now? and for nothing. stupid move. He is worth more then a 5th round pick.

#4 gstclairinc

gstclairinc

1st Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationCape Coral

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:13 PM

Ellerby was put on Notice last year, and didn't show up. Tallon put him on notice this year as well, and again a no show. We have plenty of D- I agree, would have liked more than a free 5th, but with declining value, was he really worth more?

#5 moose-1

moose-1

Perennial All-Star

• Members
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:48 PM

I hope that the Panthers come out strong and never give up.
This is a game that the Panthers need to win in my book.

It's nice to be back. Laptop was down due to windows updating for the
last 2 day. It stunk because I could not given get on the laptop at all
for to solid days. Just got back on 1 hour ago.
My whole town was down that whole time. Windows said they were updating
and that it would take 2 days. They were right too.

I hate it. I missed a great game against Philly.

Go Panthers and make this a happy 1st day back on the internet.

#6 moose-1

moose-1

Perennial All-Star

• Members
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

Panthers down 1-0 after 1 period of play.
Washington goal was by (D)John carlson.

#7 zmike1981z

zmike1981z

1st Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

I hope that the Panthers come out strong and never give up.
This is a game that the Panthers need to win in my book.

It's nice to be back. Laptop was down due to windows updating for the
last 2 day. It stunk because I could not given get on the laptop at all
for to solid days. Just got back on 1 hour ago.
My whole town was down that whole time. Windows said they were updating
and that it would take 2 days. They were right too.

I hate it. I missed a great game against Philly.

Go Panthers and make this a happy 1st day back on the internet.

crap goal by caps, start of 2nd caps 1-0. Panthers cant seem to get down into the zone and sustain anything. Hopefully the panthers have a good second since this is their garbage period.

#8 zmike1981z

zmike1981z

1st Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:36 PM

pure stupidty and lazyness. Why they can not make line changes in a 2nd baffles me.

Panthers get a penatly called in their favor, theodore doesnt even know there is a penalty and stays in the net, panthers come down and get a slashing call. Morons. they really are not into this game at all.

#9 zmike1981z

zmike1981z

1st Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:40 PM

kulikov limps off the ice at the end of the period, if he doesnt come back out I am really going to be P1ssed because they just moved Ellerby for no reason but they are being cheap. Gut forbid you have a back up plan in case someone, wait for this, gets hurt in hockey...

#10 moose-1

moose-1

Perennial All-Star

• Members
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

kulikov limps off the ice at the end of the period, if he doesnt come back out I am really going to be P1ssed because they just moved Ellerby for no reason but they are being cheap. Gut forbid you have a back up plan in case someone, wait for this, gets hurt in hockey...

I know what your saying, but Ellerby was not cashing in on his chances with the
Panthers. With us he just was not getting better. We were not going to get anything
more then what we got for him. It's not like he is a stud or anything.

On the game, your right Panthers just are not in this thing. That I don't understand.
It's not like Washington is tearing up the league.
I thought we would see a better effort from them for sure.

#11 fleury1215

fleury1215

2nd Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:18 PM

not much effort
somehow the 3rd period rebound that we sometimes are used to never came?
see you all back in town

#12 zmike1981z

zmike1981z

1st Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:19 PM

bad effort all around from top to bottom. I don't their heads were in this one. The fact that theodore didnt even know a penalty was called really shows it. Now its 5-0 and Brian Campbell is really showing up on my bleep list. He looses so many battles and really isn't doing much on the offensive side outside the power play. He is not worth the money.

Parros is really not my cup of tea. Every time he is on the ice i expect nothing good to happen. He is too slow and is always out of position. He got that one lucky goal only because he is so slow he fell out of the play and was a 3 day late trailer.

#13 fleury1215

fleury1215

2nd Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:32 PM

somehow the Panthers have a habit of loosing critical game that are
valuable in their standing ...
loss of Garrison is fully felt on the blue line
no one's taken his hard blast shot
the rookies play better then the top line of weiss ++
even if I admire weiss for his constant gridding effort
Theo?? well ... why can we give our big Swedish kid in San Ant.. the go ahead??
Unless they start skating
I dont see them finish any higher then they are now?

#14 degarmo

degarmo

Perennial All-Star

• Members
  • 3,165 posts
  • LocationCoconut Grove

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:48 PM

Jose Three-or-more showed up tonight, but really an all-out lackluster performance. Really the only fire I saw was from Shore. Felt like they phoned this one in.

Normally I'd be thrilled with a 2-1-1 road swing, but since we lost both games to the division opponents, I'm not as happy.

They better come back big on Tuesday night.

#15 PanthersFanAlways

PanthersFanAlways

1st Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationWhere All Are One

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:28 PM

I think Tallon needs to make a couple of changes. This has gone on long enough. We have so many draft picks in the minors, it's time to tank this season and give all the rookies a chance to play. Get rid of the bums on this team that are not contributing, and give our young players a chance.

TIME FOR THIS CAT TO POUNCE!

Posted Image

#16 GermanPanther

GermanPanther

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Locationmunich, Germany

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:50 AM

First i think we must get back to the old lines. With mueller to the Huberdeau and Shore. And send Versteeg to 1st line again. When you look at the two games Mueller can play in both lines, Versteeg only with weiss and Fleischmann. Always hear about chemistry where can i find them, if we always splitt up lines after 3 or 4 games.

But back to game, tonight we was in energy and then we get this crazy 1: against us. I was watching this goal 5 times and still not saw how it goes in. What a crazy bounce. After that Goal the first players starting to get disinteristed in the Game for a while after the second Goal, the stone was rolling.
I mean you are playing good make 2 mistakes and get 2 Goals. The first Goal i didn´t count as that, only a strange Goal.

But when you look at Shore, it doesn´t look good. I don´t mean he play bad, its more about that he try to force it. He want to score his first NHL Goal, so many Rookies already scoring there first Goal, so i can understand him. He got also great chances, but as Coach yyou have to talk to the kid know, cause when you start to force it, you will loose the Eye for the Game. That could be turn bad for the Team.

So today we saw the old panthers from the long loosing streak. So i hope when we play the rematch at Home we will the the Panthers, who wanna take points and work for it.

@escroft
But you know there is only a 3 points different between place 8 and 11. So as long this Season still is an upsidedown for every Team there is still a chance to get a place.30 more to go so there stil more points to earnas you have know. But after the half mark then its been critical.When times run out, while you already count the seconds.

Southeast-Division Champion 2011/12

#17 mperoni101

mperoni101

Perennial All-Star

• Members
  • 2,563 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach

Posted 10 February 2013 - 01:08 AM

I didn't watch the game so i can't comment much other than to say that a 5-0 defeat means that this team flatlined. I saw some hi-lites and they had great scoring chances, but Holtby made a big difference as well.

You know...it's a tough loss but the fact that this team has shown that it can play like it used to and played well in the recent previous games, it's something to just put back and leave it behind. Go back to the things that they did right. Up next is a home game against the Caps. So.... time to give back a smack.

This is no time to b---h and moan about a terrible loss. We got over that 5 game slump. We played well overall recently, so let's get back to that.
Posted Image

#18 moose-1

moose-1

Perennial All-Star

• Members
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

NO WAY, we tank this season!!! We are only 1 pt out of 1st place in our Div.
I'm sick and tired of losing. We are trying to build a winner, not make it harder
to get players to play here.
If I was the Commis and I knew a team was tanking. I would take their 1st round draft pick away. When a team tanks they screw the whole league. You lose games that other
teams are hoping you win. Making some teams to be a higher seed then they really
should of been, plus you might put a team in the playoffs that other wise would not of made it. TANKING THE SEASON IS WRONG ALL THE WAY AROUND!!!!!

We had and still have injuries. That is killing us right now.

#19 GermanPanther

GermanPanther

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Locationmunich, Germany

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:02 PM

Yes we still can make it when we win all of our upcoming home games and don´t struggle to hard on the road trip after. But then it must look good.
For the moment its been 3 points for the Divsion and the same to the playoff place. We can make it but for that we need real lines and chemistry and less excuse.
I mean the only really injured Player is Bergenheim and he make only 25 points in a full season, so i wouldn´t count that moose.
We must believe in red and play every Game the best we got.
But for real i also was thinking we travel to washington and take the points easy.
So much time but we have to play all the time serious.

Southeast-Division Champion 2011/12

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Website Footer

Floridapanthers.com is the official Web site of the Florida Panthers. Florida Panthers and floridapanthers.com are trademarks of Sunrise Sports & Entertainment.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2010 Sunrise Sports & Entertainment and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.

Roster   |   Schedule   |   Recent news   |   Season Seat Plans   |   Pillar Partners   |   Corporate Sponsors

Contact Us  |   Privacy Policy  |   Usage Guidelines  |  NHL.com Terms of Use
  |  Site Map