SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
In order to view this page you need JavaScript and Flash Player 9+ support!

Photo

[Trade] Ellerby to LA.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 BCPanther

BCPanther

4th Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationArmstrong, British Columbia

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Keaton Ellerby has been traded to the LA Kings for a 2013 5th round draft pick(NJ).

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=415529

I'm assuming to make room for Gudbranson and since Weaver has outplayed Ellerby, It's not a shocker. Though I thought we could have gotten more.

Follow me on Twitter: @nazzy003

#2 GermanPanther

GermanPanther

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  • Locationmunich, Germany

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

Wow, what a news. Ellerby get be traded to the kings for a fifth rounder. That say anything or not.
For real i donĀ“t miss him for a defender he got the wrong skills, skating okay. But that was it, maybe a bit Body play.
A fifth round pick for the next draft, but that means also there is place for young ones, when they got there chance. For the moment petrovic is the only one in my Eyes who can make it.

So the first redudant Person are gone.

Southeast-Division Champion 2011/12

#3 mperoni101

mperoni101

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

He was expendable and i am sure he wanted a better chance elsewhere. Not sure if LA is it....but they need an extra d-man and Ellerby skates great. He may work out over there. I wish the guy the best.

Panthers clear up a bit of space and leave Strachan as the winner. Now with Gudbranson back, and Jovo to play some games, there was really no room for Ellerby.
Posted Image

#4 gstclairinc

gstclairinc

1st Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCape Coral

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

Ellerby was in a put up or shut up situation this year, and he chose to shut up. I also wonder if we could have gotten more out of him. He was a first rounder.

Does anyone feel we could have done better than a 5th round pick for the kid?

#5 BCPanther

BCPanther

4th Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:00 PM

Maybe this is part of a bigger trade? Don't take any players in return, free up a spot. I'm kind of confused as to why we didn't get Loktionov(before being traded to NJ). He wanted out, we could have found playing time for him as long as Dineen could actually find it in his sack to bench Weaver.

#6 panthersrock1987

panthersrock1987

4th Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationOKC (sadly)

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:49 PM

Does anyone feel we could have done better than a 5th round pick for the kid?

The funny thing is that I think Loktionov could have netted the Kings a little more than the 5th rnd pick we just got for Ellerby.

#7 mperoni101

mperoni101

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:00 PM

It's a bad trade market so.....no. I don't think we could have done better than a 5th considering that Ellerby became a 7th...8th d-man, and would have eventually been lost on waivers at some point.

I didn't know his trade value was this low........but frankly i didn't know what the market was right up until now. If this is it then this was the best deal.
Posted Image

#8 BCPanther

BCPanther

4th Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:25 PM

Maybe this is part of a bigger trade? Don't take any players in return, free up a spot. I'm kind of confused as to why we didn't get Loktionov(before being traded to NJ). He wanted out, we could have found playing time for him as long as Dineen could actually find it in his sack to bench Weaver.

#9 sam52054

sam52054

Draft Pick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

Seriously, only a fifth rounder? Would rather have Ellerby at his salary than a grossly overpaid Jovo who's on the IR half the time, and gets beaten wide when he's on the ice.

#10 degarmo

degarmo

Perennial All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts
  • LocationCoconut Grove

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

Ellerby has been a turnover machine this season, and it didn't look like he was going to improve in his development much more. He's still irresponsible in his own zone and is making a lot of bad mistakes.

LA is taking a chance with him, and we got what he is currently worth given the trade market, in my opinion.

NOTE: I combined the threads and edited two posts into one for gst. :)

#11 gstclairinc

gstclairinc

1st Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCape Coral

Posted 09 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

Ellerby has been a turnover machine this season, and it didn't look like he was going to improve in his development much more. He's still irresponsible in his own zone and is making a lot of bad mistakes.

LA is taking a chance with him, and we got what he is currently worth given the trade market, in my opinion.

NOTE: I combined the threads and edited two posts into one for gst. :)

LOL, Thanks Degarmo! Although I AM pretty good at repeating myself! LOL

#12 GermanPanther

GermanPanther

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  • Locationmunich, Germany

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:18 AM

It's a bad trade market so.....no. I don't think we could have done better than a 5th considering that Ellerby became a 7th...8th d-man, and would have eventually been lost on waivers at some point.

I fully agree with you, first ellerby has an 1 year RFA contract who ended this Year and also his skills and stats are nothing you can say i can get a big deal.
Yes no market with all the running out contracts, this offseason will be 1 time better then last year.

Southeast-Division Champion 2011/12

#13 moose-1

moose-1

Perennial All-Star

• Members
  • 4,603 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 09 February 2013 - 06:52 PM

Ellerby had his chance, he just didn't do enough here. We got just what
I thought we would get.

#14 flpanpunk

flpanpunk

3rd Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Locationpompano bch,fl

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:12 PM

I have to say a bad trade this time of year. With Jovo hurt, Caruso out for the year, Strachan not playing overly well either(nor Kuba)he is more valuable for depth than a 5th rounder. He at least stands up for teamates and can be servicable in limited minutes. I'm not saying he's a top 4 d-man or anything(nor optimally a top 6)but with Jovo getting older and every thing else going on with this compact season(with more injuries expected) to me it was worth holding on to him even at the risk of losing him for nothing at the end of the year. At least wait for the trade deadline and see how we were holding up

#15 moose-1

moose-1

Perennial All-Star

• Members
  • 4,603 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 10 February 2013 - 06:06 PM

I have a thought for everyone. Just what if Ellerby wanted out? More playing time?
Maybe he thought he should be on a line he was not? No one knows for sure. We are
not in the locker room Maybe he thought that he was better then he was and wanted
a chance to play somewhere else.

Even if we had traded him at the trade deadline we still would not of gotten anything
more. He was not a top 4 guy or even top 6 guy. That right there makes him a low round
pick at best. I would rather take my chances with a young guy in the system when injury
happens.

IMO, we are going to see a couple of them on the Panthers next anyway!

#16 degarmo

degarmo

Perennial All-Star

• Members
  • 3,114 posts
  • LocationCoconut Grove

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

I think Tallon had him on a 10-game perform-or-go thing. He didn't perform. Actually, he was terrible in his own end. The +/- didn't tell the tale with him. He just wasn't solid enough defensively and Strachan outperformed him, so Tallon said adios. I'm good with the move.

#17 flpanpunk

flpanpunk

3rd Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Locationpompano bch,fl

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

Move looking worse and worse. We could crtainly use him now.

#18 mperoni101

mperoni101

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,252 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:13 AM

Ellerby would not make a difference. I take it Petrovic is still hurt?

Panthers will call up Yonkman and maybe Nash. 

I'd like to see Timmins back too. 

Posted Image

#19 degarmo

degarmo

Perennial All-Star

• Members
  • 3,114 posts
  • LocationCoconut Grove

Posted 03 March 2013 - 04:38 AM

I thought Timmins looked great in his one game. 

#20 flpanpunk

flpanpunk

3rd Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Locationpompano bch,fl

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:49 AM

have to disagree. A phyiical presence for a game that looks like we're going to need it would be nice. I belive petrovic is still hurt and besides, don't want to rush him up anyways,especially to play with us struggling so bad. But hey, at least Kuba finally did something positive on the ice,as most of the season you could compare hime to Mark Columbo of the Dolphins and call him a turnstile

Ellerby would not make a difference. I take it Petrovic is still hurt?

Panthers will call up Yonkman and maybe Nash. 

I'd like to see Timmins back too. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Website Footer

Floridapanthers.com is the official Web site of the Florida Panthers. Florida Panthers and floridapanthers.com are trademarks of Sunrise Sports & Entertainment.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2010 Sunrise Sports & Entertainment and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.

Roster   |   Schedule   |   Recent news   |   Season Seat Plans   |   Pillar Partners   |   Corporate Sponsors

Contact Us  |   Privacy Policy  |   Usage Guidelines  |  NHL.com Terms of Use
  |  Site Map